Preparing for the Common Admission Test (CAT) requires a lot of hard work and dedication. One of the essential aspects of the preparation process is taking mock tests. Mock tests are an excellent way to simulate the actual test experience and evaluate your performance. But how many mock tests should you take before the CAT exam? In this article, we will clarify this question and also will discuss the benefits of taking mock tests. Firstly, let’s understand the CAT 2023 Examination pattern in detail.
CAT 2023 Exam Pattern
The CAT is a computer-based test that consists of three sections: Quantitative Ability (QA), Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR). Have a look at the below table to understand more details about the CAT 2023 Exam Pattern.
|SECTION||DURATION||Number of questions (Expected)|
|Verbal Ability||40 minutes||24|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||40 minutes||20|
|Quantitative Ability||40 minutes||22|
Each correct answer is awarded 3 marks, and each wrong answer carries a penalty of -1 mark. Each section has a sectional time limit of 40 minutes, and candidates are not allowed to switch between the sections.
What Is The Purpose Of Taking CAT Mock Tests?
CAT mock tests are designed to simulate the actual CAT exam. The purpose of taking CAT mock tests is to help candidates assess their level of preparation, identify their strengths and weaknesses, and improve their performance by practising similar questions and time management strategies.CAT Mock Tests play a vital role in CAT preparation. Now, let’s talk about how many mock tests you should take before the CAT exam.
How Many Mock Tests To Give Before The CAT Exam?
The number of mock tests that you should take depends on your preparation level and the time left for the exam. As we all know, CAT 2023 is going to be held at the end week of November. There is more than enough time to prepare for the CAT exam.
If you are taking the CAT exam for the first time, as a general rule, it is recommended that you can take at least two mock tests per month if you start your CAT preparation from now onwards. This will give you enough time to analyze your performance, identify the areas where you need to improve and work on them.
Gradually you can increase the count by May 2023. You can take at least one mock per week. At this period of time, you must be well-versed in the fundamentals. Do not wait until the syllabus completion; take one mock per week and stick to the CAT 2023 preparation schedule. If you have more time, you can take two to three mock tests per week.
If you are a CAT repeater, you can start taking at least one mock per week, if you start your CAT preparation from now onwards. As you have already taken the CAT before, you might be well-versed in the basic fundamentals from all the sections. So you need to revise once again and take as more number of mock tests as you can.
However, it is essential to ensure that you are not just taking mock tests for the sake of it. You should analyze your performance after every mock test and work on improving your weak areas. Additionally, taking too many mock tests can lead to burnout and affect your performance negatively.
Month-wise Schedule for CAT Mock Tests
Check out the below month-wise schedule for taking CAT mocks from March 2023. This table includes the number of mocks to be taken each month for both first-time CAT exam takers and also for repeaters. Note: Please remember that the values in this table may vary from person to person based on their strengths and weakness.
|Month||First-time CAT exam taker||*CAT Repeater|
* The above-given values may vary for the repeaters based on their preparation levels and also how well-versed the basics and the conceptual understanding.
Benefits of Taking CAT Mock Tests
- Simulates the real exam experience: Mock tests are designed to simulate the actual CAT exam experience. By taking mock tests, you get a feel for the exam environment, which can help reduce anxiety and nervousness on exam day.
- Identifies strengths and weaknesses: Mock tests help you identify your strengths and weaknesses. This information can help you prioritize your preparation and focus on areas that need improvement.
- Improves time management: Time management is critical in the CAT exam. Mock tests help you practice time management, enabling you to optimize your performance on the actual exam day.
- Exam-Taking Strategy: By taking mock tests, you can create an exam-taking strategy, which is very crucial while taking the CAT examination. You can be able to decide from which section to start in the actual examination.
- Boosts confidence: As you take more mock tests and see your scores improve, you will become more confident in your abilities. This confidence can translate into better performance on the actual exam day.
In conclusion, taking mock tests is an essential aspect of CAT preparation. While there is no fixed number of mock tests that you should take, it is recommended that you take at least one mock test per week before the exam. Remember to analyze your performance after every mock test and work on improving your weak areas. Good luck with your CAT preparation!
Join our Telegram group of MBA aspirants for quick and regular exam updates.