Odd Sentence Out Questions for CAT Set-3 PDF
Download important CAT Odd Sentence Out Questions Set-3 with Solutions PDF based on previously asked questions in CAT exam. Practice Odd Sentence Out Questions Set-3 with Solutions for CAT exam.
Download Odd Sentence Out Questions for CAT Set-3 PDF
75 Days Crash course for CAT – Enroll here
Question 1: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out.
1. The priests were honored and privileged above all other men, and spent their lives dwelling apart from the multitude in vast and magnificent temples.
2. For the practice of such rites, and others designed to impress not the elect but the multitude, the great temples of Egypt were constructed.
3. The power and wisdom of ancient Egypt was vested in its priesthood, which was composed of individuals exceptionally qualified by birth and training for their high office, tried by the severest ordeals and bound by the most solemn oaths.
4. They dedicated themselves to the study and practice of religion, philosophy, science and art—subjects then intimately related, not widely separated as they are now.
5. These men were the architects of ancient Egypt: theirs the minds which directed the hands that built those time-defying monuments.
Question 2: Four sentences related to a topic are given below. Three of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out.
A. It is therefore not unreasonable to suppose that some portion of the neglect of science in England, may be attributed to the system of education we pursue.
B. The progress of society has rendered knowledge far more various in its kinds than it used to be.
C. The tastes and pursuits of our manhood will bear on them the traces of the earlier impressions of our education.
D. A young man passes from our public schools to the universities, ignorant almost of the elements of every branch of useful knowledge.
Question 3: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out.
1. Perhaps philosophers have been largely to blame for the indifference shown; their terms have often been needlessly difficult, their language obscure, and their ideas abstruse.
2. They differ in their statement of the problem, in the purpose of the attempt, and in their methods of attempting the solution.
3. Philosophers in general set out to solve the riddle of the universe.
4. Others in observing the diversity of things in the universe wonder what is behind it all; they seek to go beyond mere appearances, and to investigate the nature of that behind the appearances, which they call the reality.
5. Some will wonder how this marvelous universe ever came into existence, and will consider the question of the existence of things to be the problem of philosophy.
Question 4: Four sentences are given below labeled as I, II, III, and IV. Of these, three sentences, when arranged properly, make a meaningful and coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out.
I) But, though resembling one another in extent of civilization, they differed widely as to the nature of it.
II) Of the numerous nations which occupied the great American continent, the two most advanced in power and refinement were undoubtedly those of Mexico and Peru.
III) The topographical aspect of these countries are very remarkable.
IV) A philosophical student may feel a natural curiosity to trace the different steps by which these two nations strove to emerge from the state of barbarism, and place themselves on a higher point in the scale of humanity.
Question 5: Four sentences are given below labelled as I, II, III, and IV. Of these, three sentences, when arranged properly, make a meaningful and coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out.
I: In addition, these positions usually offer growth potential for income and career advancement.
II: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics (BLS), the job outlook for insurance sales agents is growing at a 10 percent rate from 2012 to 2022.
III: Independent sales agents have the benefit of being able to work autonomously while still being part of an established organization.
IV: Though there are benefits to this type of work, it is still important for those considering this path to do their own due diligence to ensure that they find the right organization to support.
Question 6: Five sentences are given below labeled as 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Of these, four sentences, when arranged properly, make a meaningful and coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out and key it in as the answer.
1. A broken will is worse misfortune than a broken back.
2. It is only a strong, unbroken, persistent will that is adequate to achieve self-mastery, and mastery of the difficulties of life.
3. In the latter case the man is physically crippled; in the former, he is morally crippled.
4. Nor is there much difficulty in leading even a very strong-willed and obstinate child to give up his own way under extraordinary circumstances.
5. The effort to break the child’s will has long been recognized as disastrous by all educators.
Question 7: Four sentences are given below labelled as 1, 2, 3 and 4. Of these, three sentences, when arranged properly, make a meaningful and coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out.
1. The history of the naval events of the War of 1812 has been repeatedly presented both to the American and the English reader.
2. There appear to be three works which, taken in combination, give the best satisfaction on the subject.
3. A few monographs, which confine themselves strictly to the naval occurrences, have also appeared.
4. Historical writers have treated it either in connection with a general account of the contest on land and sea, or as forming a part of the complete record of the navies of the two nations.
Question 8: Four sentences are given below labelled as 1, 2, 3 and 4. Of these, three sentences, when arranged properly, make a meaningful and coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out.
1- On the wide prairies of America each hundred men, with the aid of powerful machinery can produce in a few months enough wheat to maintain ten thousand people for a whole year
2- And the result is, that now the child of the civilized man finds at its birth, ready for its use, an immense capital accumulated by those who have gone before him.
3- During the long succession of agitated ages which have elapsed since, mankind has nevertheless amassed untold treasures.
4- It has cleared the land, dried the marshes, hewn down forests, made roads, pierced mountains; it has been building, inventing, observing, reasoning; it has created complex machinery, wrested her secrets from nature, and finally it pressed steam and electricity into its service.
Question 9: Four sentences are given below labelled as 1, 2, 3 and 4. Of these, three sentences, when arranged properly, make a meaningful and coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out.
1. The rigid censorship which has been established makes it impossible for any outside the circle of Governments to forecast its duration, but to me, speaking for a moment not as a politician but as a student of spiritual laws, to me its end is sure.
2. For the true object of this War is to prove the evil of, and to destroy, autocracy and the enslavement of one Nation by another, and to place on sure foundations the God-given Right to Self-Rule and Self-Development of every Nation, and the similar right of the Individual, of the smaller Self, so far as is consistent with the welfare of the larger Self of the Nation.
3. They have had their day and their place in evolution, and have done their educative work. Now they are out-of-date, unfit for survival, and must vanish away.
4. The Great War, into the whirlpool of which Nation after Nation has been drawn, has entered on its fourth year.
Question 10: Five sentences related to a topic are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a meaningful and coherent short paragraph. Identify the odd one out. Choose its number as your answer and key it in.
1) There are so many opportunities to do good for the planet, and many of them are right under your nose.
2) A great way to do this is to reduce your dependence on fuel sources that have a negative effect on the environment.
3) Think your actions don’t make a difference? Think again!
4) Each morning is the beginning of a new day and another chance to make the world a better place.
5) Taking small, mindful actions for positive improvement can have a great impact on your community and inspire others to do the same.
Download CAT Quant Questions PDF
Answers & Solutions:
1) Answer: 2
3145 is the correct order. Option 3 introduces the topic, which speaks of the priesthood in Egypt and their qualities. Option 1 speaks of how priests were treated. Option 4 explains which subjects the priests dedicated their life to while Option 5 concludes by explaining the importance of the priesthood in ancient Egypt. Option 2 is incorrect because it explains why temples were constructed in Egypt-this is not what the paragraph is concerned with. Moreover, the noun “such rites” has no antecedent in any of the other sentences.
2) Answer (B)
Sentences A and C talk about the importance of having a good educational system and sentence D gives the result of not having a good one. Thus, A,C, and D form a coherent passage with the right sequence as C-A-D. Sentence B talks about the positive impact progress of society has caused. Thus, B is the odd one out.
3) Answer (A)
Sentences 2, 3, 4 and 5 talk about the riddles or problems that philosophers have set out to solve and sentence 1 describes the shortcomings of the methods the philosophers have used to represent their data. Thus, sentence 1 is the odd one out. The proper sequence of the given sentences is 3-2-5-4.
4) Answer (C)
It is evident that II should be the part of the passage since it introduces the subjects- Mexico and Peru. It talks about the greatness of Mexico and Peru. Sentence IV continues the same idea stating that a philosophical student might feel inclined to study more about these nations who emerged from barbarism to place themselves on a higher point. Between I and III, former is a better choice for the passage because I talks about how despite being similar to each other in extent of civilization, these countries were different. This will make a better link with IV. But III is a very specific remark about topographical aspects of these countries which abruptly takes the attention to a different topic. So, the answer should be C.
5) Answer (B)
It is evident that the passage is talking about either Independent sales agent or Insurance sales agent. Both II and III cannot fit into the same passage. II talks about potential for income and career advancements. IV starts with ‘though there are benefits’ indicating that it should follow II. III talks about benefit of being an Independent sales agent and will offer a better transition to I than what II will provide. Thus, the answer is B.
6) Answer: 4
The sentences 1,2,3 and 5 talk about the importance of raising children with a strong will. Sentence 4 talks about changing the habits of a strong willed and obstinate child. Thus, sentence 4 is the odd one out. The correct order of the sentences is 5-1-3-2.
7) Answer: 2
Sentence 1 is the best opening sentence as it introduces a topic which is being discussed in the other sentences. Sentence 4 should follow sentence 1 as it elaborates on the point mentioned in sentence 1. i.e how history of naval war has been repeatedly presented to the users. Sentence 3 fits better after sentence 4 as it continues the idea presented in sentence 4 and moves to the specific type of writing style. i.e. monograms. Sentence 2 which talks about works of authors but is very generic in nature and hence sentence 3 is a better choice to follow sentence 4. So option 2 is out of context.
8) Answer: 1
Sentence 2 and 4 cannot be the starting sentences as sentence 4 starts with “ it has cleared”, so it is not clear what is it referring to. Similarly, sentence 2 starts with “and the result is” so it is talking about the result of some event. Sentence 3 and 4 form a pair as sentence 3 talks about what mankind has done over the years and sentence 4 goes on to explain the same point in detail. Sentence 2 logically follows sentence 4 as it discusses the impact of the work which has been done by the mankind. So, 342 forms a logical sequence. Sentence one which talks about how machinery has improved the production capacity does not fit in the above sequence as it talks impact of machines on the production capacity of humans. It can be a part of a subsequent paragraph but it does not fit the context of this paragraph. So the correct answer is option 1.
9) Answer: 3
Statement 4 talks about the fact that war has entered into its fourth year.
In the statement I the author says that no one can predict that how long will it last. So statement 4 and 1 are related. Statement 2 goes on to explain the point mentioned in statement 1 that why is it difficult to forecast the duration of the war. Hence sentences 412 form a logical sequence. Statement 3 talks about plans of evolution and education which is nowhere related to the other three sentences. Hence statement 3 is out of context.
10) Answer: 2
Sentences 4351 form a coherent paragraph about how to make the world a better place whereas sentence 2 talks about reducing the dependence on fuel sources which have a negative effect on the environment. Thus sentence 2 is the odd one out.
Download CAT Previous Papers PDF
Download Free CAT Preparation App
We hope this CAT Odd Sentence Out Questions with Solutions PDF for CAT Set-3 will be helpful to you.