How to prepare for the Essay section of the XAT 2022 Exam?
The Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is a popular entrance exam, conducted by XLRI, Jamshedpur. The XAT Exam 2022 will be held on January 2, 2022. The admit cards for XAT 2022 have been released recently, and an important update regarding the latest XAT Exam pattern has also been released. As per the latest exam pattern, the Essay Section has been re-introduced to the XAT 2022 Exam. On completion of 165 minutes, the timer will reach zero and Part 1 will be locked. You will be moved to Part 2, i.e., the General Knowledge & Essay section of the Question Paper. The candidates are not allowed to leave the test lab before completion of the test. In this article, we will see how to prepare for the Essay section of the XAT, and the important XAT Essay Topics to prepare for.
XAT Mock Test Series (in the latest pattern)
XAT 2022 Latest Exam Pattern
First, let us take a look at the XAT exam pattern.
|Section name||No. of questions||Marks per correct answer||Total marks|
|PART 1 (165 mins)
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26||1||26|
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||28||1||28|
|PART 2 (25 mins)
How to prepare for the Essay section of the XAT?
The Essay section is unique to the XAT exam, and it is not present in other MBA Exams (such as CAT, IIFT, etc). Hence, the aspirants must have a fair idea of how to tackle the essay part of XAT. Also, the Essay will be evaluated after the candidate will be shortlisted for the interview. Let us see how to prepare for the essay section in the XAT 2022 exam.
- The topics tested in the past were completely broad and some of them were completely abstract. The topics also required some reasoning from our side. So, the topics sound abstract but can be tied to some real issue. For example: “The biggest threats are the ones you do not foresee.” – this ties in with the pandemic. In this way try to understand and link the topic with a real issue and present your points.
- The purpose of giving such broad topics is to test the candidate’s ability to think critically and logically. It’s not to test your knowledge, but to test how articulate you are, and how you can express your thoughts in an organised and a coherent manner.
- Make sure you structure your essay well. The structure of the essay you write should have a logical flow and a proper chain of thought.
- State your arguments and reasoning clearly. You can also provide examples to strengthen your arguments. Regularly following the news, reading up on major economic issues, issues related to the pandemic etc, can help you present your thoughts well.
- Try not to have a biased or extreme point of view. Try to be as rational as possible while writing an essay. You can try to sound more analytical by presenting both sides of the argument.
- Try to include new ideas and interesting points related to the topic given. Do not diverge from the topic given and present your ideas clearly.
- Avoid vague sentences, grammar errors, and spelling mistakes: Try not to make any grammatical errors and structure your sentences carefully.
- Practice writing essays on a few topics, and also stick to the word limit. Complete the essay within the given time and don’t spend too much time only thinking about what to write.
A few topics to prepare for Essay Writing for XAT can be:
- Should governance and Religion be mixed?
- Should e-learning replace classroom learning completely?
- Farm laws: Politics or Progress?
- The role of media and information in education in the new normal brought by the Covid pandemic.
- The relation between climate change and the Covid pandemic.
- Nature knows no borders and neither do natural calamities.
- The biggest threats are the ones you do not foresee.
Past Essay topics of XAT
Past papers of XAT is one of the best sources for getting an understanding of the topics tested in this section. Let us look at the topics that were asked in the past.
XAT Essay Topics:
From XAT 2019 to XAT 2021 Essay writing was not a part of the paper. But it is reintroduced in XAT 2022.
|XAT 2018||Ethical Practices and Sustainability: Do they co-exist?|
|XAT 2017||Globalization and Jingoism always coexist.|
|XAT 2016||Technology and Nature are natural enemies|
|XAT 2015||Listening is a dying art. We hardly listen to understand. We only listen to refute or reply.|
|XAT 2014||The most beautiful thing can neither be seen nor be touched but can only be felt.|
|XAT 2013||Corruption is the root cause of the economic slowdown in India.|
|XAT 2012||Poverty is a big menace in India. Due to its complexity and magnitude, most of the government initiatives fail. (or)
Poverty is a consequence of the failure of government policies due to the fact that governments do not target the root causes.
|XAT 2011||The statesman who should attempt to direct private people in what manner they ought to employ their capitals would not only load himself with most unnecessary attention but assume an authority which could safely be trusted to no council and senate whatever, and which would nowhere be so dangerous as in the hands of man who has folly and presumption enough to fancy himself fit to exercise it.|
|XAT 2010||Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s need but not every man’s greed need.|
|XAT 2009||The Inherent vice of Capitalism is unequal sharing of blessings and the inherent virtue of Socialism is equal sharing of misery.|
|XAT 2008||Gender Bias: Cause of Third World War.|
|XAT 2007||Economic growth without environmental damage – a mirage or a reality.|
|XAT 2006||India has one of the largest pools of talented manpower, but few innovations and patented products.|
|XAT 2005||More than one billion Indians: A gigantic problem or a sea of opportunities?|
|XAT 2004||Asked at the age of 83, as to which of his project would he choose as his masterpiece, Frank Lloyd Wright, the architect answered, The next one.|
|XAT 2003||To give real service, one needs to add something that cannot be bought or measured, like sincerity and integrity.|
|XAT 2002||Indian Economy in the Post WTO Era.|
|XAT 2001||Economic Growth without distributive justice can only lead to violence.|
Download XAT Previous Year Papers [PDF]