The Indian Institute of Management Lucknow is considered the best business school in India and is the top choice for many MBA hopefuls. To get into IIM Lucknow, the first step is to take the Common Admission Test (CAT) exam, which is taken by more than two lakh candidates every year. The selection criteria at IIML depend on the CAT score, academic record, work experience, gender diversity, and how well the candidate performs in the Written Ability Test (WAT) and the Personal Interview (PI). This article explains the admission process of IIM Lucknow and how to get in.
Download Free MBA Preparation App
- 1 IIM Lucknow Eligibility Criteria 2023
- 2 IIM Lucknow Selection Criteria 2023
- 2.1 Stage 1: Shortlisting for Writing Ability Test (WAT) – Personal Interview (PI)
- 3 Stage 2: Criteria for Final Selection of Candidates for PGP/PGP-ABM/PGP-SM program
- 4 IIM Lucknow MBA Fee Structure
- 5 IIM Lucknow Placements 2023
IIM Lucknow Eligibility Criteria 2023
- To qualify for the program, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree with at least 50% marks (45% for SC, ST, and PwD candidates). The degree should be from a recognized university or educational institution in India or a qualification accepted by the Ministry of Education, Government of India.
- If you are currently in your final year of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification, or if you have completed all degree requirements but are still waiting for your results, you can apply. If you get selected, you can join the program provisionally, but you’ll need to provide a certificate from your College/Institute’s Principal or Registrar stating that you have completed all the requirements for the degree on the date of the certificate.
IIM Lucknow Selection Criteria 2023
The admission process for the PGP (2023-25) at IIM Lucknow will be conducted in two stages.
Stage 1: Shortlisting for Writing Ability Test (WAT) – Personal Interview (PI)
Candidates will be chosen based on their CAT scores, academic performance, and other specific criteria mentioned below. For PGP-SM, it’s necessary to have at least 24 months of work experience to be eligible.
Stage 1(a): Eligibility Criteria for WAT-PI
Minimum Sectional and Total Cut-off Percentile for Shortlisting for WAT- PI Stage
Stage 1(b): Calculation of the Composite Score for Shortlisting for the WAT-PI stage
Candidates who score the specified minimum sectional and overall percentiles in CAT for their respective category will be considered for Stage 1(b). During Stage 1(b), composite scores will be computed using the factors outlined in the table below.
Note for the above table:
@ If you are in your final year of examination, the marks obtained up to one year before your final exams will be considered during the admission process. For example, if you are in a three-year degree course, the marks up to the second year will be taken into account, and if you are in a four-year degree course, the marks up to the third year will be considered. However, you must still achieve the minimum percentage of marks required in your graduation examination, according to the CAT eligibility criteria.
* In the PGP-ABM program, the diversity factors (DFa and DFb) cannot add up to more than 20 marks.
# If you want to join the PGP-ABM/PGP-SM programs, you must fill and submit the ‘Special PGP-ABM/PGPSM form’ before the given deadline. Not doing so will disqualify you from the WAT-PI process for these programs.
$ The work experience you entered during the CAT registration will be the final consideration for the admission process. Only full-time work experience after graduation will be counted for work experience marks. If you have worked for a fraction of a month in different organizations, 30 calendar days across all organizations will be considered as one complete month. Your work experience will be verified during the WAT-PI and other admission-related processes based on documents like experience certificates, appointment letters, relieving letters, first and last pay slips, bank statements, etc., which you need to provide.
^^ To find the overall percentage for HSC, all the marks from the subjects listed on the mark sheet will be used. The same applies to graduation if the total marks or percentage for the course are not given. If marks are unavailable, the CGPA will be converted into a percentage according to the provided conversion formula or norms by the board/university/institution. If there is no conversion formula, the CGPA will be considered as a percentage of the maximum grade points. However, if both marks obtained and CGPA are mentioned on the mark sheet (s), the ‘marks obtained’ will be used to calculate the graduation’s aggregate percentage.
Academic Disciplines(AD) for PGP-ABM Program
- Agriculture: (including Agriculture, Agronomy, Soil Science, Agricultural Biochemistry, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension, Plant Breeding and Genetics, Entomology, and Plant Pathology)
- Science: (including Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biotechnology Engineering, Botany, Home Science, Life Science, Zoology) Veterinary Science, Animal Husbandry, Fisheries, Dairy Science, Agricultural Engineering, Dairy Technology, Food Technology, Food Technology & Management, Forestry, Horticulture, Rural Studies, Rural Sociology, Rural Cooperatives, Rural Banking.
Stage 1(c): Scheduling for WAT-PI
After clearing Stage 1a, candidates can visit the official website www.iiml.ac.in to check their composite score (based on Stage 1b) and see if they qualify for the WAT-PI process. If selected, they must fill and submit the WAT-PI form online before the deadline. Not doing so will make them ineligible for the WAT-PI process, and IIM Lucknow won’t entertain any queries regarding this. Candidates should regularly check the official website of IIM Lucknow after CAT results are declared for updates and notifications about the admission process.
Stage 2: Criteria for Final Selection of Candidates for PGP/PGP-ABM/PGP-SM program
The candidate’s final score for selection in the PGP/PGP-ABM/PGP-SM program for the batch 2023-25 will be calculated based on the assigned weights mentioned in the below table.
Weights for Final Score calculation after the WAT-PI stage
|PGP & PGP-SM||PGP-ABM|
|Common Admission Test (CAT)||30||35|
|Academic Performance (12M+GM)||5=5||5+5|
|Diversity Factor (DFa+DFb)||5||5|
|Written Ability Test (WAT)||10||10|
|Personal Interview (PI)||40||40|
- To be considered as having passed the PI (Personal Interview), candidates must score at least 12 out of 40 marks. If a candidate does not achieve this minimum score, their name will not be included in the final merit list.
- The Admissions Committee of IIM-Lucknow has the authority to make the final decision on which category an academic program will be classified into.
- IIM Lucknow uses the reservation policy set by the Government of India for admitting students to Central Educational Institutions (CEIs).
- Any disagreements or disputes related to admissions for the batch 2023-25 will be handled by the Courts with jurisdiction in the city of Lucknow.
IIM Lucknow MBA Fee Structure
The fee for the flagship PGP program at IIM Lucknow is Rs. 20.75 lakhs for two years. You’ll need to budget separately for a laptop, personal expenses on boarding, travel, clothes, and laundry. Keep in mind that the program fees for the PGP 2024-2026 batch might be updated in the future.
IIM Lucknow Placements 2023
IIM Lucknow has completed the final placements for the PGP and ABM program batches. This year, they achieved an impressive milestone by securing 100% placements for their largest batch in 37 years, with 556 students receiving 632 offers. The average package this year is INR 32.33 LPA, showing a 3.8% increase compared to the previous year. Here are some of the other placement key highlights.
- Successfully achieved 100% placements within just 2 days.
- In Placement 2023, the highest domestic salary has risen to Rs. 1 CPA, showing an increase from Rs. 58 LPA last year.
- The median salary in Placement 2023 increased by Rs. 30 LPA.
- The batch of 556 students received 632 placement offers from top recruiters.
- Aditya Birla Group, Accenture, Adobe, Bain & Co., Barclays, BCG, Capgemini, Citi, Deutsche Bank, Deloitte, EY, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, Kearney, KPMG, McKinsey, Microsoft, PwC, RPG, Xiaomi, and many other prominent companies were among the top domestic recruiters.
- Top International Recruiters included Omnibiz, Landmark, and Splash.
For more details on the selection procedure of IIML and for a detailed understanding, candidates can refer to the official website.
Checkout: CAT Free Practice Questions and Videos
Candidates can Join our Telegram group of MBA aspirants for quick and regular exam updates.