SSC Static GK – World’s Largest Deserts [PDF]
A desert is a desolate expanse of terrain with minimal precipitation and, as a result, harsh living conditions for plants and animals. The lack of vegetation exposes the ground’s bare surface to denudation processes.
Cracku 1 Year Pass At Just rs. 499
Check List of Indian Nobel Prize Winners
List of World’s Largest Deserts [PDF] :-
Download World’s Largest Deserts [PDF] Here
The World’s Largest Deserts with Place and Country, Rank, Areas
|Name||Type||Place and Country||Area (Km2 )||Rank|
|Arabian Desert||Subtropical||Western Asia||23,30,000||4|
|Gobi Desert||Cold Winter||Central Asia (China and Mongolia)||10,00,000||5|
|Kalahari Desert||Subtropical||Southern Africa||9,00,000||6|
|Great Victoria Desert||Subtropical||Australia||6,47,000||7|
|Patagonian Desert||Cold Winter||South America (Argentina and Chile)||6,20,000||8|
|Syrian Desert||Subtropical||Western Asia (Iraq, Jordan and Syria)||5,20,000||9|
|Great Basin Desert||Cold Winter||United States||4,92,000||10|
|Chihuahuan Desert||Subtropical||North America (Mexico and USA)||4,50,000||11|
|Great Sandy Desert||Subtropical||Australia||4,00,000||12|
|Karakum Desert||Cold Winter||Turkmenistan||3,50,000||13|
|Colorado Plateau||Cold Winter||United States||3,37,000||14|
|Sonoran Desert||Subtropical||North America (Mexico and USA)||3,10,000||15|
|Kyzylkum Desert||Cold Winter||Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan)||3,00,000||16|
|Taklamakan Desert||Cold Winter||China||2,70,000||17|
|Thar Desert||Subtropical||South Asia (India and Pakistan)||2,00,000||18|
|Atacama Desert||Cool Coastal||South America (Chile and Peru)||1,40,000||23|
|Mojave Desert||Subtropical||United States||1,24,000||24|
|Namib Desert||Cool Coastal||Southern Africa (Angola and Namibia)||81,000||25|
|Dasht –E Kavir||Subtropical||Iran||77,000||26|
|Dasht – E Loot||Subtropical||Iran||52,000||27|
Download SSC CGL Previous Papers PDF
Download SSC CHSL Previous Papers PDF
- Deserts are sometimes defined as locations where evaporation loses more water than precipitation falls. This is especially true in areas experiencing “desertification,” when rising temperatures (i.e., climate change) cause river beds to dry up, precipitation patterns to shift, and flora to die off.
- The Deserts, such as the Sahara Desert in Africa, the Gobi Desert in northern China and Mongolia, and Death Valley in California, are generally among the warmest and most hostile regions on Earth. However, they can also be cold, windswept landscapes with little to no snowfall, such as those seen in the Antarctic and Arctic.
- So, in the end, being heated plays a minor role. On the other hand, deserts are characterised by little to no rainfall and If the temperature extremes and Deserts cover roughly one-third of the Earth’s surface. However, the majority of it is found in the polar areas.
- Antarctica: With 13.8 million square kilometres, the Antarctic Desert is the largest desert on the planet. Antarctica is the world’s coldest, windiest, and most isolated continent, and it’s classified as a desert since yearly precipitation in the interior can be as low as 51 millimetres.
- Although research stations have strewn around the continent house anything from 1,000 to 5,000 researchers, there are no permanent human residents, the largest of which is McMurdo Station on Ross Island’s tip. Only a few cold-adapted species of mites, algae, and tundra vegetation can thrive there, in addition to a small number of mammals.
- Interestingly, the 2nd largest desert in the world is also notoriously cold. Location with the above 75 degrees north latitude, the Arctic Desert covers about 13.7 million square kilometres, predominantly snow.
- With a total area of 9.4 million square kilometres, the Sahara is the world’s third-biggest desert. Overall, the majority of the Saraha receives less than 20 mm of rainfall (0.79 in).
- In other words, deserts aren’t just dunes and areas where you might run into Bedouins and Berbers, nor are they just a place you have to drive through to get to Napa Valley. They might be sandy or frigid deserts, and they can be found on every continent in the world. In the end, their noticeable lack of moisture is the distinguishing feature.
These are a few key points to remember when it comes to the General Awareness component of government exams.
Here the list of High Courts in India PDF & the list of Prime Ministers of India from 1947 to 2021 PDF with their tenures is very useful to you.
Hope this information will be useful for you in the Government Job Exam Preparation. Stay tuned for more updates about exams.
Join Exam Preparation Telegram Group