General Awareness requires knowledge on many different subjects, one such subject is Old and New names of Cities in India. In Banking and other competitive exams like RRB, CDS, LIC AO, RBI, SSC, UPSC, FCI, UIIC, OICL, SBI Clerks and PO the questions on Old and New names of Cities in India are being asked. Please check out Some of the Previous Papers for the same. Old and New names of Cities in India PDF gives the list of old and new names of Indian cities also other countries old and new names. Please go through the below list of Old and New names of Cities in India. You can also download the same information in the PDF format. Take a Free SBI Clerk Mains Test. Also please utilize 100 free GK Tests and 100 free Computer Awareness Tests to improve your knowledge in both of these areas. These free tests on GK and Computer awareness will be available for free for a limited time period.
|Old Name/Ancient Name||New Name||State|
|Trichur(Thiru Siva Peroor)||Thrissur|
|Mhow||Dr. Ambedkar Nagar||Madhya Pradesh|
|Central Provinces||Madhya Pradesh|
|Nawanshahr District||Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar|
|Cape Comorin||Kanya Kumari|
|United Provinces||Uttar Pradesh|
Old Names of Countries/Cities
|Old Name/Ancient Name||New Name|
|Upper Volta||Burkina Faso|
|South West Africa||Namibia|
|Zaire||Democratic Republic of Congo|
|Dutch East Indies||Indonesia|
|Ivory Coast||Cote D’lvoire|
|Portuguese East Africa||Mozambique|
|Sandwich Islands||Hawaiian Islands|
|Trust Territory of New Guinea||Papua New Guinea|
- East Punjab (1947 – 1966) was trifurcated into Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh. While West Punjab became a Part of Pakistan Post Independence and Later it was renamed as “Punjab Province”.
- United Provinces was renamed to Uttar Pradesh with effective from 26th January, 1950.
- Hyderabad was merged with Andhra Pradesh on 1st November 1956 and called as Andhra Pradesh State. Again divided on 2nd June 2014 as Telangana (Hyderabad) and Andhra Pradesh.
- Travancore was changed into Kerala on 1st November 1956.
- Madhya Bharat was renamed as Madhya Pradesh on 1st November 1959.
- Madras State was renamed as Chennai on 14th January 1969.
- Mysore to Mysuru 1st November 1973.
- The name of the Laccadive, Minicoy and Amindivi islands was changed to Lakshadweep on 1st November 1973.
- Assam was re-christened to Asom from 2006.
- Uttaranchal to Uttarakhand from 1 January 2007.
- Orissa to Odisha from 1st November 2011.
Please spread a word about us with your friends. Thank you for visiting our blog. Cracku is the best site to prepare for several competitive examinations. Please Subscribe and join our Facebook group for Banking. Please review us by rating and let us know how we are doing by commenting. Also take a look at other GK topics by clicking the link below.