- 1 Current Affairs August 2018 Monthly PDF Capsule:
- 1.1 Important Appointments August 2018
- 1.2 Important Awards and Recognitions August 2018
- 1.3 Banking Current Affairs August 2018
- 1.4 National Affairs August 2018
- 1.5 International Affairs August 2018
- 1.6 Defence, Science and Technology and Environment August 2018
- 1.7 Books and Authors August 2018
- 1.8 Obituaries in August 2018
- 1.9 Sports Current Affairs 2018
- 1.10 Important Days August 2018
Current Affairs August 2018 Monthly PDF Capsule:
Download month wise August 2018 current affairs to answer monthly online quiz test and questions. This is August 2018 Current affairs PDF. An important complete capsule for banking (IBPS, SBI PO and Clerk, SSC CHSL, UPSC (civil services) and other exams covering all important happenings in the month of August 2018.
Download Current affairs 2018 PDF
Download Static GK Capsule PDF
Important Appointments August 2018
|Re-elected as the President of Zimbabwe||Emmerson Mnangagwa|
|Elected as President of Columbia||Ivan Duque|
|Re-elected as President of Mali||Ibrahim Boubacar Keita|
|Elected as the President of Paraguay||Mario Abdo Benitez|
|Appointed as new Ambassador of India to Russia||D Bala Venkatesh Varma|
|Elected as the Chair of International Nitrogen Initiative||N Raghuram|
|First Indian to be appointed as member of ICANN panel||Ajay Data|
|Appointed as Vice President of South West Asian Football Federation||Subrata Dutta|
|Re-appointed as chairperson of TRAI till 2020||R S Sharma|
|Appointed as Part time members on board of Reserve Bank of India||S Gurumurthy and Satish Marathe|
|Appointed as members of Central Board of Direct Taxes||Aditya Vikram
Pramod Chandra Mody
|Appointed as Director and General Manager of United India Insurance Company Ltd||S Gopakumar|
|Appointed as CEO of PM Fasal Bima Yojana||Ashish Kumar Bhutani|
|Appointed as the deputy chairperson of Rajya Sabha||Harivansh|
|Appointed as Head Coach of Indian Women Cricket Team||Ramesh Powar|
|Appointed as the Director (Finance) of Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd||C B Ananthakrishnan|
|Re-appointed as the Non- Executive Director on board of HDFC||Deepak Parekh|
|Appointed as MD of Dedicated Freight Corporation of India Ltd||Anurag Sachan|
|Appointed as Chairman of Marine Products Export Development Authority||K S Srinivas|
|Appointed Independent Director of India Bulls Housing Finance||S S Mundra
RBI Deputy Governor
|Government of India has approved extension of tenure of Non- Executive Chairman of Canara Bank||Narayanasamy Manoharan|
|Government of India has approved extension of tenure of Non- Executive Chairman of Bank of India||Gopalraman Padmanabhan|
|Appointed as Chief Justice of Madras High Court||Justice Vijaya Kamlesh|
|Appointed as the Chief Justice of J and K High Court||Gita Mittal|
|Appointed as Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court||Aniruddha Bose|
|Appointed as Chief Justice of Delhi High Court||Rajendra Menon|
|Appointed as Chief Justice of Patna High Court||M R Shah|
|Appointed as Chief Justice of Odisha High Court||Kalpesh Satyendra Jhaveri|
|Appointed as Chairman of Appellate Tribunal for Electricity||Manjula Chellur|
|Appointed as chairperson of National Commission for Women||Rekha Sharma|
|Appointed as Member, National Commission for protection of Child Rights||R G Anand|
|Chief Justices of High Courts and Judges in Supreme Court|
|Judges of High Court appointed as the Judges in Supreme Court
Chief Justices of
Newly Appointed Governors of States
Important Awards and Recognitions August 2018
|Indian Australian Mathematician, who won prestigious fields medal at the International Congress of Mathematics in Rio de Janeiro||Akshay Venkatesh|
|Recipient of the 2018 UEFA President’s award by the European football governing body||David Beckham|
|Outstanding Parliamentarian Award 2013||Dr. Najma Heptullah|
|Outstanding Parliamentarian Award 2014||Hukum Dev Narayan|
|Outstanding Parliamentarian Award 2015||Ghulam Nabi Azad|
|Outstanding Parliamentarian Award 2016||Dinesh Trivedi|
|Outstanding Parliamentarian Award 2017||Bhartruhari Mahtab|
|As per a poll conducted by BBC History Magazine, Nobel award winning scientist who has topped the “women who changed the world list”||Marie Curie|
|India’s first tribal language to get its own Wikipedia edition in Ol chiki script||Santhali|
|Nao Sena Gallantry Award approved by president of India for all six women crew members of the Indian vessel team which circumnavigated the globe||INS Tarini|
|Legion of Merit bestowed by the government of USA on which Indian army personnel||General Dalbir Singh Suhag
Retired Chief of Army Staff
|Recipient of the WHO World No Tobacco 2018 prize||S K Arora|
|Recipient of the 2018 Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award||Gopal Krishna Gandhi|
|The Bank which has been adjudged as the World’s best bank for digital innovation by global finance magazine||DBS Bank, Singapore|
|Outstanding Parliamentarian Award for the years 2013 – 2017 awarded by president|
Download NITI Aayog Questions and Answers PDF
Banking Current Affairs August 2018
|Indian Banking Conclave 2018 which was organized by Center for Economic Policy Research was held in the city, NITI Aayog was the knowledge partner||New Delhi|
|The bank which has surpassed Yes Bank as the 7th most valuable country in India in terms of market capitalization||Bandhan bank|
|A unified payment terminal POS machine – MOPAD, has been launched by which of the following banks recently||State Bank of India|
|Pay U signed an MoU with which organizations for offering personal loans via LazyPay||Reliance Money|
|The first of its kind in India, an Iris based authentication for Aadhaar enabled transactions has been introduced by which bank||Axis Bank|
|A renewed version of UPI (Unified Payment Interface) UPI 2.0 has been recently unveiled by whom,
four new features have been added
a) Invoice in the Inbox
b) Signed Intent/ QR
c) UPI Mandate with block of funds
d) UPI for overdraft account
|Dr. Urjit Patel
|As per the third bi-monthly policy review by RBI
Key Policy Rates
|Reverse Repo Rate||6.25%|
|Marginal Standing Facility||6.75%|
|Cash Reserve Ratio||4%|
|Statutory Liquidity Ratio||19.5%|
|Foreign Bank which received Reserve Bank of India’s approval recently to operate in the country||SBM Bank (India)
State Bank of Mauritius
|Reserve Bank of India has recently barred a payments bank from accepting new customers after its violation of norms regarding deposits taken by the payments bank in existing accounts||Fino tech payments bank|
|As per the RBI’s annual report published in august 2018, country which remained as the top source of inward remittances for 2017-18||UAE|
|Reserve Bank of India has transferred how much amount to government of India as a surplus for the year 2017-18||Rs 50,000 Crore|
|As per the recent estimate of growth of India’s GDP by RBI, what is the expected GDP growth rate for the year 2018-19||7.4%|
|NABARD has sanctioned how much amount for 8 water projects in the state of Haryana from the rural infrastructure development fund||Rs 722 Crore|
|The small finance bank which has launched an overdraft facility for medium and small enterprises||Ujjivan Small Finance Bank|
|Some important points to note from the recently published All India financial inclusion survey 2016-17
NABARD which was released by Rajiv Kumar Vice Chairman – NITI Aayog
|– Agricultural house holds accounted 48% of rural households
– 88.1% of the rural households have a bank account
|World’s first block chain public bond “Bondi bond” introduced and being managed by which international financial institution||World Bank|
|Public Sector Bank which topped the list of total number of digital transactions as per the recent report published by department of financial services||Punjab National Bank|
|Company which has launched the commodity trading with MCX||Axis Securities|
|Government of India has recently signed a loan agreement of USD 250 million with world bank for supporting electrical DISCOM companies in which state||Rajasthan|
|Government of India has signed a loan agreement of how much amount with Asian development bank for providing safe and sustainable drinking water facilities in the state of West Bengal||USD 245 million|
|India’s GDP growth estimate for the year 2019-20 by International Monetary Fund||7.5%|
|India’s GDP growth estimate for the year 2018-19 by National Council of Applied Economic Research||7.4%|
|India’s GDP growth estimate for the year 2018-19 by FICCI’s economic outlook survey||7.4%|
|India’s GDP growth estimate for the year 2018-19 by India Ratings Research||7.2%|
|India’s GDP growth estimate for the year 2018-19 and 2019-20 by Moody Investor Services||7.5%|
|Company which has partnered with Indian railways IRCTC rail connect for facilitating convenient payments||Phone Pe|
|Organized which has launched an initiative RUCO – (repurpose used cooking oil) for collecting and converting of used cooking oil into biofuel||FSSAI|
|Country which has surpassed japan as the country with the world’s largest current account surplus as per IFO institute||Germany|
|First Indian company to surpass Rs 8 trillion market capitalization||Reliance Industries|
|Government of India has signed a loan agreement of how much amount with the world bank for improving the energy efficiency programme in India||USD 300 million|
|Government of India has signed a loan agreement of USD 375 million with which international organizations for improving the irrigation projects in Madhya Pradesh||Asian Development Bank|
National Affairs August 2018
- Ministry of Human Resources and Development has launched Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements for promoting innovations in the country and it has been established in the premises of AICTE in New Delhi.
- A 5 day international colour festival was held in Ranchi from 23rd – 27th August 2018.
- Assam has recently released the final draft of National Registry of Citizens of Assam; the draft has declared 40 lakh people as illegal citizens of India.
- Government of India has approved an MoU between India and Bulgaria in the field of tourism
- Government of India has approved an MoU between India and republic of Korea for cooperation in the field of Railways
- Two new space technology research centers are coming up in Jammu and Agartala, as per a recent announcement by Dr. Jitendra Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North East Region.
- As per the recent survey conducted by the Quality Control of India, Jodhpur, Rajasthan has emerged as the cleanest railway station in India.
- As per the recent report by Routesonline, Kempegowda International Airport Bangalore has emerged as the second fastest growing airport in the world after Haneda Airport, Tokyo, Japan.
- Ministry of Earth Sciences has set up a cyclone-warning center in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Government of India has approved an MoU between India and USA in the field of Insurance regulatory sector.
- Film Actor Kangana Ranaut along with Raman Singh, CM of Chhattisgarh has launched a mobile distribution scheme named “mobile tihar” under the sanchar kranti Yojana in Raipur.
- A new scheme – Seva Bhoj Scheme, worth Rs 325 Crore, aimed at reimbursing CGST and IGST to religious/ charitable institutions who provide food free of cost has been introduced by government of India.
- Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to implement “Biofuel Policy”.
- WOW mobile app has been launched by FICCI ladies organization recently, which is aimed at creating awareness on preventive healthcare.
- Inland waterways authority of India has launched a dedicated portal named FOCAL for connecting cargo owners and shippers with real time data on availability of vessels.
- Country’s first hub for biotech and pharma sector has been recently launched in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- World’s first ever high-energy thermal storage device has been recently unveiled in Amaravati, Andhrapradesh.
- Two mobile applications of TRAI – Mycall and DND 2.0 have been made available on the UMANG App platform.
- A mobile app named Niryat Mitra to promote ease of doing business in the country has been launched by Minister of Commerce and Industry – Suresh Prabhu.
- Government of India has approved Life Insurance Corporation’s purchase of 51% stake in IDBI Bank.
- Government of India has approved MoU between India and Indonesia for cooperation in the field of health, scientific and technological cooperation.
- The project outlay of India Post Payments Bank has been increased from existing Rs 800 crore to Rs 1435 crore by government of India recently
- Country’s first lab for conservation of endangered species – National Wildlife Genetic Resource Bank has been recently launched in Hyderabad, Telangana by Minister of Science and Tech, Environment, Forest and Climate Change – Dr. Harsha Vardhan.
- “Bhamashah Techno Hub”, India’s largest business incubator hub has been launched in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- India has been elected as the president of Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development for a period of two years. Srilanka was elected as the vice – chair of the institute.
- Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve has been recently inducted into the World Network of Biosphere Reserves of UNESCO.
- International Buddhist Conference has been recently inaugurated by the President of India in New Delhi.
- Bombardier Q 400 turbotop, which is India’s first biofuel flight from Dehradun to Delhi being operated by Spice jet has commenced operations.
- Prasar Bharati has signed an MoU with the Myanmar media group for collaboration in content sharing and broadcasting.
- National Highway authorities of India has signed an MoU with State bank of India for an unsecured loan of Rs 25,000 Crore for a period of 10 years.
- EXIM Bank of India has signed an MoU with BRICS development bank for collaboration in the field of block chain technology.
- The 51st ASEAN foreign ministers meeting was held in Singapore in august 2018, the meeting is chaired by Lee Hsien Loong.
- A 21-member committee headed by K Vijaya Raghavan, principal scientific advisor to government of India has been constituted by government of India for advising it on policy matters related to science, technology and innovation, the name of the committee is PM – STIAC
- The G 20 digital economy ministerial meeting was held in Salta, Argentina from August 23-24, 2018.
- The first SAARC agri cooperative business forum was held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
International Affairs August 2018
- Government of India has signed an agreement with the European Union for a Rs 240 crore worth research programme for developing a vaccine for influenza.
- Amazon has signed an MoU with Uttar Pradesh government for providing support to MSME entrepreneurs in the state through One District One Product scheme of the state.
- 11th world Hindi congress was held in Mauritius from August 18th – 20th
- Japan has overtaken China as the second largest stock market in the world as per a recent report published by Bloomberg.
- A two-day Nepal – India literature festival 2018 has been held in Birgunj, Nepal. The even was organized by Nepal – India Cooperation forum.
- 24th World Congress of Philosophy was held in Beijing, China. The theme for 2018 is “Learning to be a human”.
Name of the Report Publishing Organization Rank of India Rank 01st
on the List
Global Innovation Index Cornell University, INSEAD
57th Switzerland Air Quality Index, India Central Pollution Control Board — Gurugram
Poorest in Air Quality
Ease of Living Index Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs — Pune Global Livability Index Economist Intelligence Unit New Delhi – 112th position Vienna, Austria National Level Ranking Framework Government of India Implementation of AMRUT scheme Andhra Pradesh India’s most patriotic brand Survey by YouGov
based in UK
State Bank of India
Defence, Science and Technology and Environment August 2018
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization Peace Mission Exercise 2018 was conducted by the central ministry of Russia in Chelyabinsk, Russia in August 2018.
- The first ever Indian Air force and Royal Malaysian Air force joint exercise has concluded in Subang Air Base, Malaysia in August 2018.
- In the 14th exercise KAKADU 2018 in Darwin Australia, INS Sahayadri is participating from India. The exercise will be held from August 29th – September 15th.
- India has recently test fired indigenously made anti-tank guided missile “Helina” and Smart Anti Airfield Weapon from Pokhran Test Range, Rajasthan.
- Defence Industrial Corridor in Aligarh has been recently launched by Minister of Defence Nirmala Sitaraman and Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh – Yogi Adityanath.
- Joint military exercise between India and Thailand, Exercise Maitree has been conducted from August 06th to 19th in Thailand.
Books and Authors August 2018
No Spin Autobiography of Shane Warne (Australian Cricketer)
Co- Author : Andrew Goodfellow
281 and Beyond Autobiography of V V S Lakshman
(Indian Cricketer)Book to be published in November 18
Sea Prayer Khaled Hosseini
Obituaries in August 2018
Rajinder Kumar Dhawan Politician Somnath Chatterjee Politician Balram Das Tandon Ex – Chhattisgarh Governor Kuldip Nayar Journalist and Politician Chemmanam Chako Malayalam Poet and Sahitya Academi Winner M Karunanidhi DMK Leader – Tamilnadu (Politician) Prof Krishna Shripadrao Deshpande Library Scientist Ajit Wadekar Cricketer Nicholas Bett Athlete Atal Bihari Vajpayee Former Prime Minister of India Kofi Annan Former UN Secretary General
Sports Current Affairs 2018
Name of the Event Winner Place Held Hungarian Grand Prix – Racing Lewis Hamilton Hungary Belgian Grand Prix 2018 Sebastian Vettel Belgian Washington Open 2018 Men’s Singles –
Women’s Singles –
Washington USA Asian Nations Cup Chess Tournament India won 5 medals in the event Iran BWF World Championship 2018 Men’s Singles
Kento Momoto (Gold)
Shi Yuki (Silver)
Carolina Marin (Gold)
P V Sindhu (Silver)
China Women’s Hockey World cup 2018 Netherlands (Winners)
— World Junior Squash Championship 2018 Men’s Individual
Mostafa Asal (Egypt)Women’s Individual
Chennai International Hockey Federation Rankings Australia – 1st
India – 5th
— Vietnam Open – Badminton 2018 Men’s Singles
Shesar Hiren Rhustavito
Yeo Jia Min
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam Olympics to be held in Tokyo, Japan in 2020 has become the first in the history of Olympics to be deploy facial recognition FIFA U-20 women’s world cup
Japan – Winner
Spain – Runner
France In the latest world rankings published by FIFA – Football, India is placed at 96th place for the first time, France has topped the list of countries Men’s Hockey World Cup in November 2018 will be held in Bhubaneshwar, India India’s Indigenous sport Kho – Kho has received the recognition from Olympic Council of Asia Asian youth weightlifting championship 2019 will be held in North Korea in October 2018 At the 2018 Asian Games, China topped the medals tally with 289 medals; India has secured 8th position in the event.
2022 Asian Games will be held in Hangzhou, China
Important Days August 2018
Day of the Month
Observed as Observed by Theme for 2018 August 09th International Day of World’s Indigenous People United Nations Indigenous Peoples’ migration and movement August 10th World Biofuel Day — — August 12th International Youth Day United Nations Safe Space for Youth August 12th World Elephant Day — — August 19th World Humanitarian Day United Nations Not a target