As we all know, the CAT exam is the most popular MBA entrance examination. The CAT scores are accepted in many MBA colleges in India, which provide the best management education. To Get into these MBA colleges, such as the Indian Institute of Management (IIMs), aspirants must take the CAT examination. Many of the students are confused at a common point which raises the question, “Can backlog students apply for CAT?”. Aspirants should be aware of the fact that an undergraduate student with an academic backlog can apply for the CAT exam.
If you can look at the CAT eligibility criteria, there was no such mentioned in the notification regarding the backlogs. Candidates in the final year of their under graduation are eligible to apply for the CAT exam. Even the IIM’s admission policies did not mention any restrictions regarding the backlogs for their admission process.
Can I Get Into IIM If I Have Backlogs?
Apparently, many of the students believe that IIM will not consider the academic backlogs. It should be clarified that IIMs will not give admission to any student, even with a single backlog. Candidates with backlogs are eligible to take CAT but are not eligible to get admitted into the IIM Institutes.
Important Points To Be Remembered From IIMs Admission Policies
- Candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree, with at least 50% aggregate marks or equivalent CGPA and 45% (for SC, ST & PwD Categories).
- Candidates appearing for the final year bachelor’s qualification examination and also those who have completed the degree and are awaiting results are also eligible to apply for IIM programmes.
- Such a candidate must produce a certificate from the principal/head of the department of the respective university certifying that the candidate is currently in the final year and awaiting final results and has obtained at least 50% marks.
What should I do If I have a Backlog? Should I Apply for CAT?
Yes, one can apply for CAT, even if you have a backlog. For taking the CAT exam, there are no restrictions on the backlogs. Follow the points below if you decide to take the CAT exam.
- It is advised to clear your backlogs before the admission process of the respective college. Make this is as a high priority.
- While applying for the CAT exam, in the application form, you will be asked, “Are you in the final year of your Bachelor’s degree?”. Answer it as “Yes“.
- Get a certificate from your principal or department head stating they conducted the candidate’s supplementary examination and the candidate is awaiting the result.
Does Backlog Affect IIM Placement?
Affect on IIM Placements if you have a Backlog in your Bachelor’s Degree.
- Having a backlog in your undergraduate affects only the admission process at IIM colleges. When it comes to the IIM Placements, you can pursue MBA at IIMs only if you clear your backlog in your undergraduation. It would not do matters if you cleared it before admission into the respective IIM Institute.
Affect on IIM Placements if you have a Backlog during your MBA
- It is completely based on the respective company’s decision. Most MNC companies do not hire a person with a backlog during MBA. Some of the companies might hire on the condition that the candidate clears the backlog within the stipulated time period.
Join our Telegram group of MBA aspirants for quick and regular exam updates